Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Halloween 2016

Halloween has always been a favorite time of the year for me. As a toddler it meant my mom dressing me up in clever self-made costumes and collecting as much candy that would fit in a pillow case.  After giving my parents their required choice of candy as payment for walking us door to door, me and my brothers would gorge ourselves sick.

As I got older, I took on more of the responsibility for the costume ideas and creation that I had learned from my mother.  Now the fun in Halloween to me is coming up with a unique costume idea and finding clever ways to create that costume well.  Anybody can buy a store bought costume, there is no creativity in that, so don't expect me to be impressed with that "super cool" super hero costume you bought.  But if you have a unique idea combined with creative craftsmanship with your costume, well then cheers to you!

In the past I have self-created Jolly Green Giant, Wolverine, Captain America, Jay-G (a popular emoticon character in Korea), Hulk, Charlie Brown, and Popeye costumes.  This year I chose another beloved character for my costume; Cookie Monster. Pulling off making a costume from scratch is a little more challenging as a foreigner in Korea, due to the fact that I don't really know where to go to find the materials I need.  But through having my Korean friends help me locate different items and pure luck I was able to make the costume.

I got affirmation that I had pulled it off well through the many people who came up to me and asked, "Where did you buy your costume?"


This is styrofoam balls with eyes painted on them, stuck to a blue hoodie using velcro tape

This a black surgeon mask with a Cookie Monster mouth painted on 

End result with a prop cookie made from modeling dough

 Some costumes from my past:
Jay-G (Korean emoticon)
Captain America
Charlie Brown
Wolverine
The Jolly Green Giant
Popeye
Hulk

Which one is your favorite? Comment below.













4 comments:

  1. Jolly green Giant my favorite, Popeye next then Cookie Monster! You did a great job, apparently we taught you well. Glad you keep up the tradition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the jolly green giant was a hit. You helped me a lot with that one.

      Delete
  2. I don't usually do this but I agree with Mom, 1-2-3 down the line. I do not remember extorting you for your Trick or Treat candy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't remember always taking one piece? Usually whoopers or a butterfinger if I remember correctly ;) It was a fair price though.

      Delete